Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  French Language Pack Update 18.4.X

Posted Aug 25, 2022 02:35 PM
    Hello All GPUG's (or GPUGgers?),

I wanted to throw this out there for all those working with multilinguals out there.

We have an GP instance in English running 18.3.1245.  At the beginning of the year we added a French client to our instance so our Canadian site could log in with the French language pack.  The French client has a separate set of Report and Forms dictionaries due to some special things they need.  Things are well with that instance and all English clients show all English and French shows French.

I have a test set of servers and clients that works in 18.3 and I am trying to upgrade to 18.4 (for obvious MS emailing reasons).  When I apply 18.4.1436, the English clients work, but the French clients have a mix of the 2 languages.  DynUtils is all in French, and the login screen of GP has a title bar in French and then Server, Username, Password is all in English, login progress bar is in French.  In the Home page, Home is French, the other buttons on the left are English.  Some of the toolbar menus are mixed as well.

Some screen shots attached to show my weirdness.

I have tried the latest patch 18.4.1461 as well and the same result.  I have done this multiple ways with running the update on the English side and letting it update all the companies, then the French client with nothing to update.  I have had the English client update all companies but the French one and make the French client update it.  I have done all updates in English and had the French update the Reports and Forms French dictionaries.

I have done both patches, and skipped the 1436 as well.  i am at a loss as to why this is happening and do not want to touch our production instance before i get this resolved.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

------------------------------
    Dave Magalen
    dmagalen@auroraplastics.com
    IT Manager - Aurora Plastics
    Streetsboro OH

• 2.  RE: French Language Pack Update 18.4.X

GPUG ALL STAR
    Posted 26 days ago
    Hey @Dave Magalen
    Let's tag in @Terry Heley to see if this is a known issue that maybe has a work around.
    If it's not a known issue I bet she'll at least have a suggestion for you.
    Thanks
    Windi
    ​​

Windi Epperson
    Customer Support Manager
    Njevity, Inc
    Norman OK
    720-870-9700 x104

• 3.  RE: French Language Pack Update 18.4.X

GPUG ALL STAR
    Posted 25 days ago
    Hi Dave,
    There is no mystery here.. and this is fully normal. Even if you install GP from ground up as a French version, there is only so much that is translated into French in the GP screens.. I have several customers running GP in both languages (FR & EN) as this is common practice here in Quebec / Canada due to the government requirements. 
    Ever since I've been working with GP I recommend to my client to stay away from the French version of GP if they can afford to not use it, since it's causing quite some headache and is anyway not a full translation in the entire product. 
    Some of the system messages and pop-up are determined by the initial base installation of GP and that is very important when you perform an upgrade to respect that order and start with the language you had first initially. Then upgrade the clients on the language that was added as second, otherwise you risk to run into some mix-up of languages. Only the basic modules of GP have ever translated to French... all other out-of-the-normal modules (Manufacturing, Advanced HR, some other exotic modules) have never been translated as that job was done over a decade ago by some Eastern Canada or France partner at the time. Microsoft since then has never bothered to keep up with the translation and complete all the modules.
    Personally I've found the translation been done in a very bad way, as many words do not reflect the true words in common use every day with Accounting and ERP. On top of that, the space (or the lack of ) is causing many words to be cut off and made partially unreadable because the forms in GP were not adjusted to accommodate the added length that foreign words require sometimes (I've never checked, but the Spanish version must suffer from the same issues).
    All in all, if you can convince your French users in Quebec to stick with the English version, you're going to save yourself a lot of troubles.. 
    Good luck.

Beat Bucher
    Business Analyst, Dynamics GP SME
    Montreal QC/Canada
    @GP_Beat http://www.gp-geek.com
    Montreal QC GPUG Chapter Leader
    MBS MVP (2015-2018)
    All-Star 2013

• 4.  RE: French Language Pack Update 18.4.X

Posted 22 days ago
    Thank you Windi and Beat.

Beat - I understand and we have seen this in our production environment where the translations might be bad or non-existent.  We especially see this with any add-ins like Extender or PowerTools (just the way we run them).  For our site, we cannot just give them English, they do required French for some of their users so that is not an option.

But the issue I was seeing was that even the properly translated labels from 18.3 were not showing properly in 18.4.  It was weird to me to see simple things like Sales, Inventory, etc on the left navigation pane, being in English (while Home was in French).

I did figure out what was causing the issue (not necessarily the cause).  I had to recreate my reports and icons dictionary files.  For some reason the upgrade (DynUtils) would not upgrade them.  There were plenty of errors when trying to upgrade them.  I also had errors when i recreated and tried to import the modified reports (must be something with my client install?).  I am not 100% sure why it was happening, but I took another VM with the French client, and upgraded (went to 18.4.1461) and replaced the DIC files and tried DynUtils upgrade.  It finally worked and upgraded those files for me (after a few times).

From what I see, the 18.4 upgrade will break the dictionary files (or at least most of the time for me).  Now I know then when I go to upgrade production, I will need to make sure I have a copy of the 18.3 files and just replace and upgrade until they work.

Hopefully this helps someone else that needs to do this.

Dave Magalen
    Streetsboro OH

• 5.  RE: French Language Pack Update 18.4.X

GPUG ALL STAR
    Posted 21 days ago
    Dave,
    in Multi-language setup, it is absolutely vital to keep everything segregated.. even the .DIC files. 
    I've never run into the kind of issues you encountered, but always made sure all the GP clients are clearly identified. In an ideal world, the 2 languages would be kept on separate PC (RDP server), but that would be too costly, thus you need to create separate GP Client instances on the same server.

GPPT can help avoid problems by setting up launch file profiles which would check the program path and the location of the GP client to avoid mistakes. I think that @David Musgrave might have written some blog posts about it.. ​

Beat Bucher
    Business Analyst, Dynamics GP SME
    Montreal QC/Canada
    @GP_Beat http://www.gp-geek.com
    Montreal QC GPUG Chapter Leader
    MBS MVP (2015-2018)
    All-Star 2013

• 6.  RE: French Language Pack Update 18.4.X

Posted 21 days ago
    Yes we do keep those separate.  Still not sure why they would be corrupted or not upgrade but for now I have a plan and some backup plans (5 to be exact :) ) for when we go into Production.

Thank you for the responses.

Dave Magalen
    Streetsboro OH

If you've found this thread useful, dive deeper into User Group community content by role