Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Cannot print out certain fields from Great Plains to our custom invoice even though they appear to be mapped properly

• 1.  Cannot print out certain fields from Great Plains to our custom invoice even though they appear to be mapped properly

Posted Oct 05, 2022 10:28 AM

Hello –

Our team is trying to use a custom template in GP for a certain company. We recently added fuel surcharge for this customer, and as a result had to re-do our custom template so it would be calculated in future invoices. The set up of the fuel surcharge and TAX IDs was fine. This was done so Fuel Surcharge would automatically be updated every time our end-users printed invoices for different vendors.

However with that, our end users gave some recommendations to fix up the old template. I am coming to the following issue: I cannot print out certain fields from Great Plains to our custom invoice. The fields are mapped properly with XML formatting (via 'TemplateGenerator' in the Great Plains Installer)

This leads me to my question: is there a limit to how many fields you can map from Great Plains Report Writer? I have provided screenshots for what our custom template looks like, to what it shows afterwards. The print ends up deleting certain parts of the template, which was largely generated by Great Plains. The fields next to Invoice Number are being reused, so I am unsure as to why one of the fields will print, but the exact same field will not if I use it later in the template. I have also differentiated between Report and Page Headers when troubleshooting.

(I have blacked out sensitive information for privacy concerns)

How the template is set up (prior to invoice print)

before

Arrow show fields that are not mapping/how the template is altered after the invoice is printed from Great Plains

after

Any recommendations or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

------------------------------
    Angela Morehouse
    CC Industries
    Chicago IL

• 2.  RE: Cannot print out certain fields from Great Plains to our custom invoice even though they appear to be mapped properly

Posted Oct 06, 2022 07:54 AM
    >>>This leads me to my question: is there a limit to how many fields you can map from Great Plains Report Writer?

As far as I know there is no such limit for the number of fields exists. Further your report doesn't have that many field as shown in screen shot.
    You said you have custom template, I want to know which Dynamics GP report you use to create this template? is the original report modified?
    After creating initial template did you modify the original report ? 

Also read below from troubleshooting word template issues.

Field values are empty
    If a field value is empty in the generated Microsoft Word document, check the
    following:
    • Verify the item was dragged to the report template document from the
    appropriate report section of the XML data. If the item comes from the wrong
    section, it will not contain any data.
    • Be sure that you have all of the tables needed for the report template document.
    Data values may not appear in a report if the report is missing one of the
    standard tables, such as the Report Header table.

Items missing from Custom XML
    If items are missing from the Custom XML for a report template document, this
    typically means that the report definition was changed after the report template
    document had been generated

dexteritydeveloper
    dexteritydeveloper@gmail.com
    https://keptonworking.blogspot.com/

• 3.  RE: Cannot print out certain fields from Great Plains to our custom invoice even though they appear to be mapped properly

GPUG ALL STAR
    Posted Oct 06, 2022 01:54 PM
    Angela,
    After you generated the XML file from the modified GP report, did you remove the existing XML definition from the Word Template before adding the new XML  def back ? That's the only way you'll be able to see any newly added field in RW... (or by the matter, any field format changes or calculated field changes).

Beat Bucher
    Business Analyst, Dynamics GP SME
    Montreal QC/Canada
    @GP_Beat http://www.gp-geek.com
    Montreal QC GPUG Chapter Leader
    MBS MVP (2015-2018)
    All-Star 2013

If you've found this thread useful, dive deeper into User Group community content by role