Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Breaking Down Customer By Multiple Job Numbers

Posted Aug 04, 2022 10:23 AM

We're a staffing company and our customers may have multiple jobs to which we send employees.  Currently, we have to use a third-party product to track these, but our CFO would like to be able to pull reports by Customer AND individual jobs FOR that customer.  Our current GP (2016 R2) only has reports by Customer.

Does anyone have a solution to this that only relies upon GP itself?

Art Cabot

Director, Information Technology

! NEW Sizemore Inc CS3 - Myriad Pro Approved 110617 (Reduced Size)

2003 Gordon Highway

P. O. Box 555

Augusta GA  30903-0555

706-736-1458, x2220
    ! Links In Emails: THINK BEFORE YOU CLICK!

www.sizemoreinc.com

• 2.  RE: Breaking Down Customer By Multiple Job Numbers

TOP CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Aug 04, 2022 10:39 AM
    GP Project Accounting with GP Personal Time and Expense (PTE) does exactly that. I have had as many as 1,000 timesheets and expense reports per week going through workflow approvals for 20-30 customers and hundreds of jobs/projects. Some with specific T&E bill rates and some fixed price off a schedule of billing values.

------------------------------
    Thaddeus Suter
    Retus, Inc
    HELOTES TX

• 3.  RE: Breaking Down Customer By Multiple Job Numbers

TOP CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Aug 05, 2022 08:06 AM
    Art,

If you do not have the time and resources to go to Project Accounting, you could establish the links between your third-party party product and GP.  You could incorporate the job numbers and customer numbers from the third-party into a common location and format on all of your GP transactions (sales invoices, vouchers, etc.) and then build the reports off these fields.  If the third-party is SQL-based, you should be able to easily tie the two data stores into a single report.

I would start with establishing rules for manual entries and then work towards building integrations between the systems (i.e. actions in your third-party generate transactions in GP).  Smartconnect is a great tool for this.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Chris Donnelly
    Sr Mgr of Info Systems and Financial Reporting
    Healthmark Industries

• 4.  RE: Breaking Down Customer By Multiple Job Numbers

Posted Aug 05, 2022 09:02 AM
    If you are referring to invoicing in the AR model. We use multiple Ship to Addresses on the same customer ID to bill one customer for multiple locations. In our case the Customers billing address is constant but the product goes to multiple sites. Would that be the same case for your your staff?

Leanne
    Assistant Controller
    NJ

• 5.  RE: Breaking Down Customer By Multiple Job Numbers

TOP CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Aug 10, 2022 08:00 AM
    Hi There,

Can you tell us a bit more about how you invoice your customers?  I have some thoughts, but it really depends on how you invoice out of GP if you aren't looking to go with Project Accounting as another person mentioned.

Some example questions are below:

1.) Do you use Sales Order Processing or Accounts Receivable for invoicing customers?
    2.) Do the invoices you send have multiple jobs on them or are they job specific invoices to where no single invoice covers multiple jobs?
    3.) How do you apply cash when in comes in?  This is particularly relevant to question #2 where a single invoice may cover multiple jobs.  Specifically I'm thinking in regard to if your CFO would want to see open invoice by job.

The answers to those items should be a start to offering some potential suggestions.

Best,

Samantha​

Samantha Higdon ,CPA,CGMA
    Consultant
    Lagom, LLC
    Carmel IN

• 6.  RE: Breaking Down Customer By Multiple Job Numbers

Posted Aug 10, 2022 08:51 AM

Thanks for the offer, Samantha.  Here are your questions, answered...

1.) Do you use Sales Order Processing or Accounts Receivable for invoicing customers?
    Accounts Receivable, via a Partner product: 1st Staff Back Office from Professional Advantage

2.) Do the invoices you send have multiple jobs on them or are they job specific invoices to where no single invoice covers multiple jobs?
    Both.  We have multiple formats (in Report Writer) depending on what the client wants to see.

3.) How do you apply cash when in comes in?  This is particularly relevant to question #2 where a single invoice may cover multiple jobs.  Specifically I'm thinking in regard to if your CFO would want to see open invoice by job.
    I just asked our Accounting Director and, while the CFO does want to see the actual invoicing by job, when an invoice is paid,  it's going to AR and open invoices by job aren't particularly relevant at that point.

Again, thanks for jumping in.... plus everyone else who's trying to help.  Good Information all-around!

Art Cabot
    IT Director
    Sizemore, Inc.
    Augusta GA

• 7.  RE: Breaking Down Customer By Multiple Job Numbers

TOP CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Aug 10, 2022 09:12 AM
    Hi @Art Cabot,

With Accounts Receivable (Sales>>Transaction>>Transaction Entry) it's a little more limited because you don't have line items like you do in Sales Order Processing (SOP) which would allow for a bit more creativity/flexibility.

I'll run through 3 scenarios at a very high level for you.

Scenario 1: 

We had a client with a similar need a few years back.  They didn't want to switch to SOP, and they also didn't care as much about open invoice by job as they did total invoiced by job. However, they were invoicing 5+ jobs on a single AR invoice which only has that single description field.

What they ended up doing was the following:
    1.) On the distributions screen (where you list the account and the debit and/or credit for that line)​, each unique job got a separate revenue line (a job could have multiple revenue lines depending on where you book your revenues or deferrals). Even if all jobs on the invoice went to the same revenue account, they posted them as separate credits to allow for reporting.
    2.) On those separate distribution lines, they tagged the job number followed by a dash ("-") in the distribution reference field under the account number. Anything after the dash was informational regarding that specific invoice line.  It does have character limits so sometimes you have to get creative.
    3.) For their "revenue by customer/job" reports, they ran reports using distribution lines and the values preceding the dash (i.e. job number) is what they grouped on in addition to invoice and customer. 

In our case, they had us build some custom reporting that stripped all the data after the dash ("-") in the distribution line so they could group on the job number alone (plus customer and invoice).  If you only use the job number in the description field, someone with a working knowledge of some basic GP tables and a reporting tool (smartlist, refreshable excel, power BI, etc.) could easily build those reports in house.

Scenario 2:
    You could switch to Sales Order Processing which lets you have individual line items.  In this case you could have the item number or description have the job number (depending how you present to clients) OR you could use the comment section of a line to indicate job number.

Admittedly, this would require process change between how you get from your partner product to GP and those reports you have built in Report Writer would have to be converted.  Doable, but I'm not sure how much value add there is in that at the end of the day with the amount of work that could go into the conversion.

Scenario 3:
    You could also explore an add on called Extender.  It lets you create fields and windows to where you could have a pop up appear in conjunction with your data entry screen where you list the job number, amount for that job on this invoice, etc.  You mentioned relying on GP only so I hit 2 choices there first, but I did want to mention Extender as it's a solid product.

Does that make sense?  Happy to ​answer any questions or go into more specifics if any of the above seems interesting to you.

Best,

Samantha​

Samantha Higdon ,CPA,CGMA
    Consultant
    Lagom, LLC
    Carmel IN

• 8.  RE: Breaking Down Customer By Multiple Job Numbers

Posted Aug 10, 2022 09:20 AM

Thanks for the additional info, Samantha.  I'll definitely pass it on... and we already own Extender and have opted to also go with eOne's new "Popdock" product when renewal time for SL Builder comes.

Art Cabot

Director, Information Technology

If you've found this thread useful, dive deeper into User Group community content by role