This class will be broken down into 6 key focus areas.
• New features of GPG 2013, best practices for payroll processing, and tax preparation.
• Potential scenarios to correct payroll processing errors (e.g. wrong pay rate, wrong hours, wrong employee).
• When an employee transaction should be tracked as a benefit or deduction vs. manually maintained.
• Review reports, inquiries, how best to utilize SmartList and Excel Refreshable Reports (W/C audits, pay review, etc.)
• How to automate a report. Bring a report you create manually to class and the instructor will choose a few to automate during class.
• A brief review of the HR module to understand the potential benefits of using it with your Payroll.
GP Version: GP2013 will be used for training but users of older versions will still benefit greatly from this class.
- Review available Reports and Inquiries
- Create Best Practices for processing pay runs and tax preparation
- Understand when to set up Benefits & Deductions
- Know when to use Post Dated Pay Rates vs. Retro Pay
- Know how to correct errors
- Use SmartList and Excel Refreshable Reports to assist in additional Reporting
- Understand what the HR module can add to your payroll system
Instructor: Belinda Allen, Smith & Allen Consulting, Inc.
Audience: This class is for payroll managers and payroll preparers
You must know how to:
- Set up an employee, with pay codes, deductions and benefits
- Process a Pay Run
- Understand Payroll Taxes
Preparation: The detailed instructions for connecting and attending the class will be sent one to two days prior to class. Students have the option of connecting to the class via conference call or VOIP. If using VOIP, a headset with a microphone is strongly recommended. If your instructor will use the hands-on training environment you will receive a separate email with the setup instructions, and a dual monitor is strongly recommended to facilitate navigation.
This is 4-hour class, however, it is scheduled for 4.5 hours to allow time at the beginning for everyone to connect successfully to their classroom.
Delivery Method: Group Internet-based
CPE Credits: By participating in this class you are eligible to earn up to 4 CPE credits. You must request CPE credit via the class survey, which will be distributed after class. The survey will be open for 30 days, after which it will be closed and you will not be able to request credit. Your CPE certificate will be sent via email approximately 2 weeks after the survey is closed. Class participation will be monitored and you will not receive CPE credit for any portion of the class that you do not appear fully engaged.
The GPUG Academy offers the unique ability to learn from recognized experts while sitting at your own desk. Most classes leverage an instructor-led learning environment coupled with hands-on training. You can practice the content and apply the curriculum immediately, instead of just watching. Classes are conducted with a combination of a conference call/VOIP, and a remote desktop connection. If your instructor uses this environment, the detailed instructions for connecting and attending the class will be sent a day prior to class. Because of the advanced setup required, if you register the day of the class, you may experience a delay getting connected and starting the class. We will strive to get you connected to the class as quickly as we can.
Note: Preview Members are not eligible for the Premium Member discount.
To maintain an optimal training environment, each person attending the class is required to register separately. If more than one attendee per registration participates, their organization will be billed for the additional attendees. With registration, you agree to the terms related to Distance Learning classes as included here. Instructor and/or agenda are subject to change.